- What are the intern responsibilities / time commitments?
- Interns must attend a mandatory one hour intern orientation and expectations meeting.
Interns must attend all intern training sessions and career focused project sessions on either Tuesdays or Thursdays from 4:30pm – 6:00pm from January – June.
After competing the required professional development courses, each intern will be considered for a summer internship at their mentor’s place of employment. Internships take place in the summer and generally run for 80 hours from June through August, on a flexible schedule to be determined by interns and their mentors.
- How much are interns paid?
- Interns are paid for their participation at all intern training sessions, career focused project sessions, and summer internships at a starting rate of $10.00 per hour. All interns are eligible for performance based raises throughout the program.
- Is there a dress code?
- Interns are expected to wear appropriate clothing to all CEO Program classes and events. The National Youth Transition Center is a professional environment and should be treated as such. Interns are required to wear business casual clothing to their internships over the summer. If you are interested in learning about organizations that provide business casual clothing to youth in DC, free of cost, email the CEO Program manager at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you explore some options.
- What is the career focused project?
- The career focused project is a project that demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary for success in an interns career field of interest. The focus of each project is determined by the intern and mentor during the first two career focused project sessions. CEO Program staff are available to assist with project ideas if necessary.
- Could you please give me an example of a career focused project?
- Of course. Below are five examples of excellent projects from previous years.
- Mentor Organization: Architect of the Capitol / Project: Intern created a 3-D design of a music studio
- Mentor Organization: NASA / Project: Intern gave a presentation on the landing of the Mars Rover
- Mentor Organization: HSC / Project: Intern researched and gave a talk on Diabetes
- Mentor Organization: Advisory Board / Project: Interns created business plan for a non-profit
- Mentor Organization: Northrop Grumman / Project: Intern presented the steps to become an engineer
- Where are the career focused project sessions held?
- Career focused project sessions are held at the National Youth Transition Center. (NYTC) The NYTC is located at 2013 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20006.