CEO Mentor Application is Open!
Competitive Employment Opportunities (CEO) seeks professionals who want to share their passion for their work with a DCPS high school student. CEO is a manageable commitment for mentors that makes a meaningful impact for students. Apply today!
Here you will find links to resources that we have compiled to support our CEO Mentors. Many of these resources are not specific to the CEO Program. Rather, they are tools that can be used by anyone who is interested in better understanding career focused mentoring for students with disabilities.
- 2020 CEO Mentor Manual
The mentor manual contains all CEO Program policies and procedures.
- CEO Intern Project Bank
The CEO Intern Project Bank includes project outlines that can be used in a variety of office settings. Feel free to use and/or modify these projects as you see fit. Always feel free to reach out to CEO staff for assistance in implementing these projects.
- Other Summer Internship Project Ideas
These are other summer internship project ideas that are not as built out as the Project Bank above, but can still provide some inspiration for useful tasks your intern can undertake over the summertime.
- Disabilities and the Mentoring Relationship
This short handout includes strategies for working with youth with disabilities as well as some generic information on disability disclosure.
- The 411 On Disability Disclosure for Adults
This comprehensive workbook provides information about disability disclosure, perceptions and misconceptions, advantages and disadvantages, as well as rights and responsibilities under the law. This is a long document, but it is a must read for mentors who are not well versed in disability disclosure practices.
- The Disabilities Context
This purpose of this document is to help those who work in mentoring programs serving youth with disabilities understand the following disability-related concepts and information:
1. Labels, language, and portrayal.
2. Disability definitions.
3. Accommodations and assistive technology.
4. Legislation relevant to people with disabilities.
- Stages of a Mentor Relationship
This handout provides guidance on building and maintaining relationships.
- Goal Setting and Decision Making
This resource covers the basics of goal setting and decision making. This resource may be useful when setting goals for your intern’s career focused project
- Getting Your Intern Started
This resource is adapted from the “Employers’ Guide” Building a Quality Internship Program” created by UNLV Career Services and includes a checklist, common concerns, as well as a learning objectives worksheet
- Understanding Autism-An Employer’s Guide
- Business Plan Templates: Interns who are interested in business may enjoy creating a business plan for their Career-Focused Project. Below are three different varieties of a business plan template your intern can use for this purpose.
- PowerPoint Business Plan Template
- Simple Business Plan Template
- Robust Business Plan Template
Disability fact sheets
These resources offers tips for maximizing the potential or your employee with autism and fostering a supportive work environment: